Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Poor in Spirit

Matthew 5:3
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

This seems like a paradox, but let's dig deeper.

poor = lacking in anything , helpless, powerless, reduced to begging

When we are at the end of ourselves, that is exactly how we are. We can't "pull ourselves up by our bootstraps" because we don't have bootstraps to pull. We have nothing to offer. That is when God moves in and gives us His kingdom.

We can receive His gift because we are no longer trying to get there on our own. There is the saying that sometimes people need to hit rock bottom before they will look up. Well, that is being poor in spirit.

I can't do this life on my own. My sin is too great. I don't have enough strength to endure the trials. I need Him!


No comments:

Post a Comment