Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Elect

1 Peter 1:2
Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

The children and I are studying 1 Peter in our Bible class for school. we have read through the whole book and again through chapter one a few times (and we have been studying 1 Peter on Wednesday nights at church, too!), but it wasn't until recently that the word "elect" stood out to me.

elect = picked out, chosen, chosen by God

Maybe it is because I am really trying to learn who I am in Christ, but this hit me. Not only was I chosen, but He chose me before the world began. The foreknowledge of God the Father means He created a way of sanctification (Christ) because He had already chosen me!

Doesn't it feel good knowing you have been chosen? As children, we desire to be chosen to play on teams and as long as we aren't "chosen" last, we feel good. But do you remember how it felt on the rare occasion you were chosen first? It made my day!

Well, this is even better! God chose us before we even knew we were available to be chosen! We don't have to wonder if we were just the best option available. He wanted us!

In fact, He desired us so much that He sent His Son to earth do die for us-our sins, our wrongdoings. As a mother, I can't imagine that level of sacrifice, but God did it freely!


No comments:

Post a Comment