Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A Quick Sewing Project

I discovered I needed new maternity clothes this time around due to 1. Most of my maternity clothes are really old and 2. Having lost 60 lbs since the last pregnancy, most of my maternity clothes were just too big. My problem is, however, that I am very frugal (therefore won't pay full price for maternity clothes) and that it is difficult to find used maternity clothing that not only fits, but meets my modesty standards.

One remedy to this is to sew my own clothes. However, there is a problem with that as well since most maternity patterns cost $20 or more and I don't like spending that much on just a pattern.

Another remedy is to take what you have and revamp it. I saw several ideas on pinterest of ways to take non-maternity clothing and adapt it into maternity clothing, however, that still involved me purchasing something new to work with. This really isn't a huge problem, but I just didn't feel like going out AGAIN to shop.

What I ended up doing is something I did once before--take an old maternity shirt that is stained or has a rip in it and turn it into a dress. This time, I had a shirt that had a stain on the bottom 1/3 of the shirt. I cut off the stained section and sewed on a "skirt". The last time I made on, I made ties. This time, I did a sash as I had seen a picture on pinterest with a sash and liked it. I was able to utilize some material given to me at one point for the "skirt" and sash so I had nothing but time into this project (because of course I have a large stash of thread as well!).



I also want to make myself a shirt (because I do have a couple of patterns that I found for a good price during previous pregnancies), but the material I really wanted to use, I just don't have quite enough to do the project. Since I am frugal, I am going to continue to look through my material stash to come up with an acceptable option.

No comments:

Post a Comment