Saturday, May 5, 2018

Serving Unto Jesus

Over the years, I have marveled at how much this world opposes service. Yes, it looks like people accept it because they talk about how we have to pay taxes to fund the services for the poor, the public schools, etc., but in reality, they are seeking the easy way out. They just want to give money instead of giving of themselves.

When our family tries to serve our neighbors, they often insist on paying us. They tell our girls that they have to know what they are worth and then demand they receive it. My heart breaks for them because they do not truly understand love.

Matthew 25:40 KJV 

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

How do I regard my having run upstairs with tea, or having served breakfast in bed, or having continued for years to do this kind of thing for a diversity of people, as well as for husband and children? How do I look at it? Do I feel like a martyr? Let me tell you exactly how I see it.
First, I say silently to the Lord. . . : "Thank You that there is a practical way to serve You tea [or breakfast in bed, or whatever it is I am doing for someone]. There would be no other way of bringing You food, or doing some special thing for You. Thank You for making it so clear that as we do things that are truly in the realm of giving of ourselves in service to others, we are really doing it for You."
 ~ Edith Schaeffer, Common Sense Christian Living, pp. 88-89




I encourage you to seek ways to serve others. Serve them with your whole heart as if they were Christ because His Word tells us that is exactly what you are doing!


No comments:

Post a Comment