Sunday, January 16, 2011

What do you support?

Something has been really bugging me for some time and it just keeps getting worse. I'm beginning to think that maybe the Holy Spirit is telling me that I need to share it. This is something that I try to pay attention to because I don't want to support those who are against God.

Do you pay attention to where you spend your money? Do you know what the companies use their profits for? Do you realize what they offer and in some cases require of their "franchises" to carry? Do you know whether or not a company supports those things that God calls an abomination and discriminate against organizations that support God's work?

A couple of years ago when I found out that Walgreens and Rite Aid (the two major pharmacies in my area) not only provide the morning after pill, but require all pharmacists to carry it regardless of their personal beliefs, I quit shopping at their stores. I know many of you save money (and even make money) taking advantage of their deals, but is it worth it knowing you are supporting abortion? I can not, in good conscience, spend money at those stores.

Another one is Target. They will not allow any religious organization to stand outside their stores to sell their items or collect money, but they will bend over backwards to help any gay organization that asks. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't hate homosexuals, but I don't think my money needs to be going to support their cause.

The last one I found out about has bugged me the most because it is so widely known and accepted--The Girl Scouts. I have not allowed my girls to be a part of Girl Scouts because of their affiliation with Planned Parenthood, their support and indoctrination of homosexuality, and their disregard for religious activities. I have friends whose daughters are a part of Girl Scouts because they were a part of Girl Scouts as a child. I have friends who have leadership roles with Girl Scouts. These people think that they just won't participate in "those" activities and they will bring the message of Christ into things they do. That might be all well and good, but how much influence do you think they'll make? I say hit them where it hurts--the pocketbook. I recently read an article that most of the profits from the Girl Scout cookie sales goes to Planned Parenthood to not only support their quest in providing abortions, but also to pay for the "health" materials they give to Girl Scouts that include telling girls it is okay to be sexual because they are sexual beings. It is okay to masturbate, because they need to know their bodies. It is okay to have feelings for the same sex and to act on those feelings because that is how they were created. I'm sorry, but I can not in good conscience support any of that.

There may be companies out there that I spend money at that I don't know about what they put money toward, but I can guarantee you that when/if I find out they use money towards those things against God's Word, I will not be spending money there anymore. Some people say that they have to shop at those stores to save money and stay within budget. I say, God will provide for you if you support His kingdom, His work, and not those things He calls an abomination.

You have to make your own choices of where you choose to spend your money. That decision is between you, your husband and God. I just thought I would share what I've learned because I'm sure there are people who don't know just as I didn't for so long.

5 comments:

  1. i never knew that! i have been buying girl scout cookies from my neighbor's daughter for several years! and she's a Christian! i wonder if she knows this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! That is why I felt so strongly about sharing it. The article was passed on to me from someone who used to be very involved with Girl Scouts for three years before she learned how the money was actually being spent herself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really struggle with this.

    I posted about boycotting one particular company a few months back.
    (http://onemoremum.blogspot.com/2010/11/nestle-free-week-why-join-in.html)

    However, the more I learn, the more I become disillusioned by corporations and wonder- where CAN I spend money?? It is difficult!

    Thank you for posting! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one concerned about these things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you posted about this. So many Christians are unaware of the agenda of some of these very popular companies and organizations. Only in "knowing" can we make an informed decision about where we spend our money. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been brought to my attention that CVS not only offers the morning after pill, but offers it without a prescription.

    ReplyDelete