Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Apple Cobbler

I love when I come up with a recipe and it turns out just absolutely yummy! Tonight was one of those nights. I had an idea for a cobbler using my canned apples and so I had out three different recipe books and picked and chose from those recipes and incorporated my own ideas to come up with something new. I only made a 9x9 pan, but I should have made more! I wish I would have thought about taking a picture of it so I could post the picture as well, but I was still unsure of how it was going to turn out.

Apple Cobbler

Ingredients:
1 quart canned apples                                            1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water                                                        2 tbsp corn starch
2 cups flour                                                           4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt                                                               2 tbsp sugar
1 stick butter                                                         6 tbsp milk
cinnamon/sugar mixture

Drain syrup from canned apples into saucepan. Add sugar, water & cornstarch. Cook until thickened. Add apples and heat through. Pour into a 9x9 pan.

Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter. Add milk. Drop by spoonfuls to make 9 "biscuits" on top of apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.

I'm sure this would be equally yummy with canned peaches, pears, cherries, etc. You could even just use a canned pie filling and skip the step of making your own fruit mixture. The nice thing about making your own is you are in control of the ingredients. The apples were canned with cane juice crystals and I used cane juice crystals in the recipe. I also used spelt flour and goat milk to make the biscuits.

The next time I make this recipe, I'll be doubling it and making a 9x13 pan. Chad was disappointed to only get one biscuit and fruit for his dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment