Friday, April 27, 2018

Spring Sewing Projects

A few weeks ago we went through our totes of clothes to see if we had what we needed for everyone. For those who still needed items, I made a list so that I could keep my eyes out at thrift stores. However, sometimes, it is hard to find exactly what we are looking for so I knew I would have to do some sewing.


In our family, we all wear modest swimwear. Most of the time, the older girls ask for swim dresses or swim skirts with shirts for birthday presents because of the higher costs for modest swimwear. For the younger girls we have usually just done swim shorts and shirts, but I had always wanted them in skirts/dresses just like the older girls. Even making modest swimwear is expensive due to the cost of the fabric. What I did this year though, cost me $1 for two swimsuits! 

For our 2 year old, I took a swim shirt we already had and just added a swim skirt that I had picked up at a free-for-all (A local church has a day when anyone in the community can come in and get items such as clothes, shoes, toys, etc. all for free!). The skirt was a girl's size 6, so it was wide enough for me to gather to add to the shirt and the length was just right for my 2 year old. I had also picked up some athletic wear leggings that I used to cut out what I needed for leggings for her.

For our 1 year old, I had picked up a one piece (with shorts) suit on the dollar rack at our local consignment. I then took another swim skirt that I picked up at the free-for-all and cut out what I needed to make a skirt. The skirt will be worn over the other and the "shorts" of the suit are the "leggings". I had contemplated cutting the suit and making a dress, but I wanted to be able to use the suit for a boy if we have another boy some day.


Our one year old is long for her age so finding dresses that are long enough for her is difficult. I made these two dresses out of shirts that had been given to us. The pink/blue one is barely long enough (I must have miscalculated when cutting the fabric for the "skirt" part) so I am in the process of making at least one more.


The two year old is also tall. I made a couple of skirts to go with these shirts that had also been given to us. 


Our ninth born is having a birthday next week and here is the dress she requested. She loves to twirl so her dresses for the last couple of years have accommodated twirling.

My current sewing project is making a dress for our one year old. Then I hope to move on to some shirts for myself and a shirt for our son's birthday (I have until July to make that one). I have also been making some small bags to possibly sell or give as gifts.

Do you sew? What have you been busy with lately?



1 comment:

  1. It is Autumn in Australia and I am preparing our Winter wardrobe, as well as trying to teach my eldest daughter (10) how to sew so she can dress herself nicely as she gets older.
    I am working on long sleeve dresses for the girls (10 and 1 years old), and trying to make corduroy long pants for the eldest boy, with reinforced knees so that I can pass them down to the other boys and they'll last!
    If I get through all of that I will begin sewing some long skirts for myself, but my wardrobe isn't as urgent.
    My sewing system at he moment is to cut and prepare garment pieces in stolen moments throughout the week- then I have two sewing nights in a row (2 hours each night after the children are in bed), and I am trying to complete two garments a week.
    Lauren (formerly chickpea on CPF)

    ReplyDelete