Saturday, January 28, 2012

Scalloped Egg Casserole

I'm going to start sharing recipes more often because I don't know of a wife/mother that isn't always on the lookout for an easy, cheap meal. Almost everything I make is pretty simple and inexpensive.

Today's recipe was handed down from my grandfather. I grew up around men who cooked all the time so I have had to learn to be content with the fact that my husband never cooks. But back to the recipe. Scalloped Egg Casserole is a comfort food for me. I like the fact that it provides lots of protein for a small investment. I have used this recipe when we have had friends over for dinner who are vegetarians and they all liked it.

I wish I had a picture for you, but I don't. This is something I've been wanting to make, but haven't lately for a few reasons. One, we were off yeast for a while which meant no bread and I just wasn't sure if I would like it without the bread cubes on top. Two, we were using a lot of eggs when we were off sugar so I was low on eggs by the time we could have bread again. And three, we are going out of town this weekend so even though I would love to make it, it will have to wait until next week. Maybe I'll post a picture then!


Scalloped Egg Casserole

10 hard boiled eggs                                                      6 tbsp butter--don't use margarine, please
6 tbsp flour                                                                   2 tbsp dry mustard
2 cups milk                                                                   1 tsp salt
2 slices of bread for bread cubes

Melt butter, whisk in flour and dry mustard and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in milk until thickened. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish. Peel and slice the eggs. Put a small amount of sauce in the bottom of pan, then a layer of sliced eggs, more sauce, and other layer of eggs and keep going until gone. Butter bread slices and cut into cubes and put on top. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment