Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Every Bite Counts—The Resolution for Women


I have started reading The Resolution for Women by Priscilla Shirer. It is based on the movie, Courageous. Right from the first chapter, I felt convicted.

by rushing through life, I’d been subtly devaluing those around me and the experiences I was involved in, not appreciating the importance and significance they bring to my life at this very moment, not grasping my responsibility for holding dear and treating well these gifts God has entrusted to me.

Ouch! This hit me right at the core. How often have I thought “if only . . .” I am extremely guilty of not valuing those around me, my experiences, or even how God is working in my life. I need to slow down and be more purposeful in all that I do and experience. I need to relish in everything God gives me. I need to learn to be content!

“Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.” ~ 1 Timothy 6:6-8

“Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have.” ~ Hebrews 13:5a

Some scriptures that came to mind after reading this chapter. Some are scriptures I memorized years ago, some are ones the girls and I have worked on this school year and some are ones I have read recently in my personal time with God.

“Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!” ~Philippians 4:4

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.” ~Philippians 4:6 (emphasis mine)

“. . .for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.” ~Philippians 4:11

“My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.” ~James 1:2-4

“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” ~1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! And OUCH. I needed to hear that too! The paragraph you quoted hit me right between the eyes.

    ReplyDelete