Friday, January 27, 2012

Overflowing Blessings--Resolution for Women

"Give and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measure back to you." ~ Luke 6:38

When we think we have nothing to give, we need to resolve to be content where we are and figure out how we are going to get out of bed for the fifth time with a child who keeps getting up, or how we can help the neighbor who just had surgery, or how we can help the family that is in need. God will bless us for our faithfulness to give when He calls us to give. When we resolve to be content "Then look toward heaven with holy anticipation, and sit with your long skirt gathered up in folds and draped loosely across your lap, prepared to catch the overflow in the welcome pockets of room you've created."

Reading this chapter reminded me of a time where this was played out in my life. A friend needed some canning jars. I had some I wasn't using that year so I gave her a couple dozen. She didn't want to take them because she figured I would need them the next year. I told her I would let God worry about that. The very next day I received a phone call from my uncle wanting to know if I could use some canning jars. He had six boxes for me! A few years later I even got back the ones I gave to my friend because they were moving and didn't have room for all the jars.

Another story also came to mind. It is found in 1 Kings 17:8-16. A widow only had enough food to feed her and her son one more meal of flat bread. She gave some to the prophet Elijah whom God had sent to her. Because of her faithfulness, her flour and oil didn't run out until God sent rain. Verse 15 tells us it was "many days"; however, if you read before and after that story, you'll learn that there wasn't rain for 3 1/2 years. Now Elijah didn't go to her at the beginning of that time, but even if ti was halfway through, that still means that her food lasted for 455!  Talk a bout God's abundant blessings!

When we are content with what we have, we are more willing to give to others. Learn contentment and receive God's overflowing blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment