Thursday, July 30, 2015

Not My Will

Luke 22:42
Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

How many times do we not do something simply because we do not want to do it? if it is something small, we may figure it is not a big deal and just do it, but if it is life changing, we will make our decision on the matter with how it will affect us.

We may not take a new job because it would require moving and we don't want to leave family. We may not give money to a benefit because we will have to give up our daily latte for a few weeks. We may decide to stop having children because we don't want to be "tied down". The list can go on and on.

However, we are called to follow Christ's example. Christ knew what was in store for Him and He didn't want to do it, but He still submitted to His Father's will in the matter. He knew God was calling him to die on the cross when He didn't deserve it. This was the biggest life changing decision one could make--to give up one's life to the point of death.

Many times we don't even want to make changes that may only affect our comfort level for a short time or that may just make us work a little harder than we have int he past.

Is that how we are supposed to be?

Every time I read this scripture, I am humbled. I realize my selfishness and lack of sacrifice. My prayer is that I would not only say, "[N]ot my will, but thine be done," but that my life would show it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment