Friday, January 13, 2017

The Best Yes

Last month I had a midwife appointment and my midwife let me know that she was running late due to helping at a birth. I decided that since I had time, I would stop at the local thrift store and look around. I was blessed to find a practically new copy of The Best Yes by Lysa Terkeurst. I had wanted to read it when it first came out, but didn't have the extra money for the book. Now, I was able to get it for only $ .25!

I still had time so I stopped at the coffee shop, got a drink and sat down to start the book. I wasn't disappointed.
We must not confuse the command to love with the disease to please.
This quickly caught my attention. I have been a people-pleaser for as long as I remember. It has been something I have been working on for a couple of years because we can't please everyone-especially if we are trying to live for God.
But a Best Yes will require having the courage to say no to other things. No to wrong things. NO to some seemingly good things. That is the only way to ensure there's space to run and take a leap of faith toward the best things.
While I underlined this when I read it as something that completely made sense, it still was something that I was finding difficult to do. I'm glad that my children seem to be learning faster than I am! My oldest was approached with an opportunity this summer that is a good opportunity; however, after praying about it, she said she felt God calling her to keep herself available which meant saying "no" to this opportunity. Now, she doesn't know what God is truly calling her to do, but she is taking a step of faith by keeping herself available for His Best Yes for her.

Another profound thought from Lysa,
The decisions we make, make the lives we live. If we want to live better, we've got to decide better.
I have to start paying attention and making better choices in the small things so that my life is a better example of living for Christ. I need to stop trying to please others and leave myself available to serving Him and saying, "yes" to Him. It is true what Louie Giglio says,
Whenever you say yes to something, there is less of you for something else. Make sure your yes is worth the less.
I truly enjoyed this entire book. My almost like new copy of the book is now filled with underlines, circles, stars, etc. I think this is a book that I will most likely read again the year ahead.

Have you read The Best Yes? Maybe you haven't, but you have thought about it like I did. Would you care to share your thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment