Saturday, June 25, 2016

Mother's Wages

Mother's Wages
author unknown

If I could charge a cent each time
I washed my children's clothes
Or tied a shoe or gave a bath
Or wiped a runny nose
Or made a bed or acted as
Their judge or referee
It could be possible that I
Could live in luxury.

If I were paid a nickel
For each diaper that I pinned
For every Band-Aid I've applied
When arms and legs were skinned
For every toy that I've picked up
And put back in its niche
There wouldn't be a single doubt
That I could be quite rich.

If just one dime would be my fee
For giving them a pill
For making meals or wiping 
The milk they often spill
For darning scores of tiny socks
For fixing things they break
It wouldn't  be too long before 
A fortune I would make.

Although it's true I don't receive
A solitary cent
Yet I'm repaid in many ways
For all the times I've spent
Their smiles, their love is my reward
For this unending care
And I am richer, yes-by far!
Than just a millionaire.


No comments:

Post a Comment