Thursday, May 24, 2012

Spicy Ranch Chicken and Cauliflower Rice

I love when I find new recipes that are both easy and yummy! We tried two new recipes on Tuesday that were delicious and simple. I adapted a recipe for Spicy Ranch Chicken from Mennonite Girls Can Cook to use what I had available and then "winged" the Cauliflower Rice recipe.

Spicy Ranch Chicken

Mix up some ranch dressing by mixing minced onion, parsley, garlic powder, and dill with some buttermilk, yogurt, sour cream, mayo, and milk. I didn't measure anything so I can't give measurements. I know I ended up with 2 cups "liquid" with a combination of buttermilk and goat milk.

Pour 1/2 the ranch dressing in the bottom of a crock pot. Then pour in a 1/2 jar of salsa and mix together. Place in a whole chicken, in which you have cut off most of the skin, breast side down. Mix the remaining dressing and salsa and pour on top. Cook on high for one hour, then turn to low for 4-5 hours. Remove chicken and shred the meat. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a pan, whisk in 1/4 cup flour and then add sauce from crock pot (this thickens it a little). Add the shredded chicken back in and serve over rice.

Cauliflower Rice

Coarsely chop a head of cauliflower (we would have to do at least two for our family if we all had the cauliflower rice, but some of them had brown rice). Saute for a few minutes in some olive oil. Put a lid on and steam lightly for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add some butter and sea salt.

The Cauliflower Rice was a great substitute for regular rice for my daughter who needs to be grain free for a couple of weeks. I'm trying to increase my vegetables to aid in weight loss so I had the cauliflower rice as well. My youngest (1 year old) devoured it as well.

2 comments: