Thursday, February 23, 2012

Just Do It


I know it has been a few weeks since I’ve written about my reading in Nehemiah, but I have felt called to write about a lot of different things so I am finally getting back around to it. Chapter three was a profound chapter for me.

The very first thing that struck me was the people got to work right away. They did not argue, debate, discuss, etc. about who was going to do what. They worked on what was in front of them and continued working until they met the next team of people.

Another important idea is that as they built each thing, they “consecrated” (dedicated) each section to God. They didn’t wait until the whole project was done and then dedicate the whole wall. No, they took the time and dedicated each step of progress.

They all worked together to accomplish a great thing. The leaders worked alongside the common people. Women were even a part of this great undertaking (3:12b).

When each group finished the section they were working on, then they moved on to another new section. They did not whine and moan that someone else was not working as fast, as hard, or as much as them; they just kept working.

It is easy to take the lessons learned from this chapter and apply it to our lives. When we have a task set before us, we need to “just do it!” A lot of times I get overwhelmed at the amount of work needed to be done that I sit and debate with myself or what would be best to do first (my messy office is a prime example!). I just need to jump in and get started.

We need to make sure we stop and praise God for the little steps along the way and make sure to give Him credit for what has been accomplished and make sure we are following His will.

An old adage says, “Many hands make light work.” We all know that work can get done a lot faster if more people are working together. If you have a large job ahead of you, enlist the help of your spouse, children, friends, and family. You can even trade work at your house for work at someone else’s house. Not only will it go faster, but you will have more fun while doing it. This is one idea that the Amish community knows well.

The last thing to remember is that you are working for the Lord. “Whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.” Colossians 3:23. It does not matter if you have done more work than someone else. God will bless your work.

I am sure I will continue to learn many more life lessons from my continued reading from Nehemiah!

No comments:

Post a Comment