Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Susan G. Komen

I read an article about the Susan G. Komen Foundation at Butter Believer: Have Faith in Real Food and was shocked at most of what was written. While I have agreed for a while that money could be better spent in preventing cancer or finding a natural way to cure it, I didn't realize the foundation was as big as it is or that it didn't use funds as effectively as it should.

Please know that by posting this link that I am not saying that we shouldn't fight against breast cancer. I agree that breast cancer is a nasty disease and it seems to attack some unlikely people. I agree that awareness needs to be made; however, I think the awareness needs to be on what we are doing to our bodies to support cancer, feed cancer, etc. than just awareness that it exists. I agree that we need to support those around us who are dealing with this nasty disease, but I think it should be done with personal support such as prayer (you can do this from anywhere), preparing meals, helping with house chores, watching children, giving personal financial support instead of giving money to an organization that seems to put so little to actually helping those suffering from the disease.

I am sure I will receive some unfavorable comments because I am not "following the crowd", but I'm standing for my beliefs. I pray you will think about your response before posting and if a discussion/debate ensues that it is done in a peaceful way.

2 comments:

  1. this is an awesome blog post. certainly opened up my eyes! she really did her research. my aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago, so this hits close to home. thanks for the link. i just had to share this on fb. i'll probably be clobbered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've felt increasingly strongly about this issue for years. This month being 'Pink' month for breast cancer awareness, I get more and more frustrated by the year about the lack of information women are given about their own bodies.

    ReplyDelete