Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cinnamon Roll Bread

I found a recipe yesterday that made my mouth water--Cinnamon Roll Bread! Everyone in my family loves cinnamon rolls but because they take so long, I rarely make them. This is a great alternative. I had to multiply the recipe and then I decreased sugar and butter and discovered I can decrease both of those even more which will help make it a little healthier. I actually doubled the recipe below and made two 9x13 pans for my family. We had about 1/3 of one pan leftover. Here is my version of Cinnamon Roll Bread.

Cinnamon Roll Bread

1 cup very warm water
1 tbsp yeast
2 tbsp evaporated cane juice crystals
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp salt
3 cups flour (I mixed 1 1/2 cups whole grain spelt and 1 1/2 cups sifted spelt)
6  tbsp cold butter
2/3 cup sugar (white or brown or a combination--I would use 1/3 cup evaporated cane juice crystals and 1/3 cup brown sugar made from evaporated cane juice crystals and molasses)
1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp flour

Pour water in large bowl and sprinkle yeast and tablespoon of sugar over the surface.  Allow to sit for a few minutes to get foamy.  Add in butter and salt.  Add flour and mix in mixer with dough hook.  Place dough in a greased or oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel.  Place in a warm place and let rise for 15 minutes. 

While that’s happening, combine cold butter, sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl and cut together using a fork, a pastry cutter, or your fingers.  You’re forming a buttery streusel-y type material here.  Set that aside. Whip up a batch of your favorite glaze.  I just used some powdered sugar with a little bit of milk.


By now, your timer’s probably gone off, so grab your bowl of dough and punch it down.  It won’t be super-puffy, and that’s totally fine.  Press the dough into a greased 9x13 baking pan.  (If it keeps “shrinking” on you, just let it rest for a few minutes, then try again.)   Sprinkle the “streusel” mixture all over the surface of the dough.  No need for a second rise here.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for 18-20 minutes.
 While still warm, drizzle or pour the glaze/frosting over the surface.  Cut into pieces and enjoy the flavor of fresh-baked cinnamon rolls… all in less than a half hour.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yummy I am copying and pasting this into a word document and printing... Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete