Sunday, October 23, 2011

Be Fruitful & Multiply

Team Carmichael--October 2011

The book Be Fruitful and Multiply by Nancy Campbell was suggested to me years ago by someone who was trying to encourage me. I believe it was when I was pregnant with the twins and people were telling us we should give them up for adoption because we had too many already. Well, I didn’t have a copy of it so I didn’t read it. Then last year I saw a copy of it at a local resale store so I picked it up thinking I should get around to reading it soon. Two weeks ago, I read a comment about the book on a blog and it got me thinking about it again. I found it on my bookshelf and opened it up.

I have to say that it hit me from the first section—the foreword by Doug Phillips. I want to share just two quotations that really hit home for me.

“How sad to think that someday we will get to Heaven and learn of the untold millions of children that were inadvertently aborted by their Christian parents—all because of lack of faith and ignorance. “My people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge.”

This made me cry as I am one of those people who mourn for the babies that we may have inadvertently aborted earlier in our marriage. We were deceived into thinking that it was the “proper” thing to do to take birth control pills. It wasn’t until after the birth of our second that I learned how the birth control pill actually works. When I told Chad about it, we decided together that there was no way we could now continue using it. It was the beginning of our journey to become quiverful minded.

“We are the problem. And judgment must begin with us. As long as we continue to abort our babies, or cut off our seed, or abandon our children to the world, we can never expect blessing and joy within our households, let alone our culture.”

This sums up how we feel. People can pray for blessings all day long, but if they are denying the blessing of children, then they are missing out on so much more than they could ever imagine.

I am so looking forward to reading the rest of this book. I am praying I have time to post my comments, thoughts, and feelings about this book (and this topic in general) in the coming days. Because of my busy schedule, I don’t know when I’ll have time to sit down and read again (let alone time to type my thoughts), but please continue to watch for more posts. I encourage you to post your thoughts and ideas as well. I do kindly ask that it doesn’t become a place to post angry thoughts and unkind words. I will be looking at this from a biblical perspective and I ask you do the same.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read that book in some time, but I remember devouring it!
    I too love Doug Phillip's foreword.

    ReplyDelete