Thursday, June 16, 2016

Where is Your Heart?

1 Chronicles 4:10 
And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.

Years ago a book The Prayer of Jabez was popular. I never fully realized why it felt a little off to me until I read today's scripture.

The premise of the book is that you don't have because you don't ask. If you only ask God to bless you, then He will give you the desires of your heart.

Here is what bothered me--God is not some genie in a bottle. You can't just ask Him for whatever you want and expect to receive it.

Look back at verse 9. "Jabez was more honorable."

Jabez sought the Lord. Jabez was concerned with following God's commands. When you strive to follow God, your desires become the same as His and it is no wonder He will bless you.

It all comes down to where your heart is. Are you asking out of selfishness or are you asking out of a desire to fulfill God's will?


No comments:

Post a Comment