Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Oppressed—A Look at Nehemiah 5, Part Two


If you missed Part One, you can read it here.

As Nehemiah did, so should we, “And I became very angry when I heard their outcry and these words.” (6). God’s people should be angry when they see people in their church going to the government for help. God’s people should be angry when they see people in the church encouraging others to go to the government for help. I am only one person and I do what I can, but if everyone in the church worked together they could help those in the church who need help.

As Nehemiah said, so should we, “What you are doing is not good. Should you not walk in the fear of our God because of the reproach of the nations, our enemies?” (9) We should be taking care of those around us not only because we fear God, but also so that we are giving a good testimony to those around us.

We need to step up and do what is right. It might not be easy, but God doesn’t call us to do what is easy; He calls us to do what is right. We might have to go without a dessert every night or without the daily latte or without those two hours in front of the television, but that is a small sacrifice to make for God.

The last verse of this chapter was Nehemiah’s prayer and has become one of my prayers as well. “Remember me, my God, for good, according to all that I have done for this people.” (19) We shouldn’t take care of the poor so that others will pat us on our back. We should do it because it is God’s command.

I have to admit that I still have a long way to go myself in taking care of the needs of others, but I have made a conscious effort in the past few months to not only look for the needs of those around me, but also to do my best to help fulfill those needs.

Be watching for a post on ways you can fulfill needs around you even if you don’t have extra money in your budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment