Sunday, March 11, 2012

Trusting God

There has been a discussion lately on Christian Parents Forum that has turned into why some of us train our daughters to be keepers at home. When I mentioned that it was because it is Biblically mandated, it was said that times are different now than they were then so it wasn't relevant anymore. Here was my response:

Personally, I think that is a cop out. God knows everything. He knew what the world was going to be like today. The Bible is NOT outdated.

What did God tell the Israelites to do when they were in slavery? He told them to be fruitful and multiply. Are you saying that being in slavery is a better situation than our economic times?


As for "needing" a double income, I think that is falling into the world's definition of "need". If you have gotten yourself into a mountain of debt, then it might be something to consider, but still might not be necessary.


We are raising a family of 11 on my husband's minor income. We have been considered living below the poverty level since 2003, but we are much better off today than we were when we were both working. Do we drive brand new vehicles? No. Do we go on vacations every year? No. Do our children have all the latest and greatest "toys"? No. Do our children wear hand-me-downs and homemade clothes? Yes. We have chosen to follow God's standards instead of the world's and He is faithful and has taken care of us. And I know that many people think we take state aid just because we have a large family on one income, but we don't. In fact, since 2006, we have paid off over $16,000 in credit card debt, purchased three vehicles, added on to our home and went from having 26 years left to pay on our home down to only 9 years.


As for needed education, I don't think you need to go into debt for that either. In fact, my husband supports us with only having a high school education.


As for "religion" being progressive and changing with the times, that goes against the Bible as well. God NEVER changes and either do His standards. 
 I was then told that I needed to be prepared for taking care of my family in case anything ever happened to Chad. Here was my response:

First and foremost, if something happened to my husband, I know that God would provide. The way He would provide would be different for everyone, but for us I do have a degree and could get a job if needed and since my it is an English degree and I used to teach, I could easily keep busy with either substituting or renew my teaching license and get a full-time job. If he died, then I would actually receive more in social security than he brings home a week so that in addition to his life insurance policy, we would be good.

Just because someone is trained to be a keeper at home doesn't mean they don't have job skills. In fact, they would be able to find work cleaning houses, cooking, and possibly sewing/mending, tutoring, teaching a musical instrument or other skill, etc.

You are right that it is good to be prepared, but I am not convinced that going into debt to get a degree and both parents working and not being home with the children God has blessed them with is a way to be prepared. For me, I feel peace for how we are prepared and have even greater peace knowing the my God will continue to provide for my children and me as He does for my husband, my children and me.

 After posting that response, I was led to Psalm 11 in my daily reading.

In the Lord I put my trust;
How can you say to my soul,
"Flee as a bird to your mountain"?
For look! The wicked bend their bow,
They make ready their arrow on the string,
That they may shoot secretly at the upright in heart.
If the foundations are destroyed,
What can the righteous do?

The Lord is in His holy temple,
The Lord's throne is in heaven;
His eyes behold,
His eyelids test the sons of men.
The Lord tests the righteous,
But the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates.
Upon the wicked He will rain coals;
Fire and brimstone and a burning wind
Shall be the portion of their cup.

For the Lord is righteous,
He loves righteousness;
His countenance beholds the upright.

My faith and trust is in the God who created this world. He owns everything and will provide all my needs. Does that mean I will never have hard times? No, but it does mean that He will be right there beside me as I walk through those times. If Chad was injured and couldn't work or if he died, it won't be the easiest thing for me, but I know that God would provide for all the needs of my girls and myself. He is faithful and will uphold those who love, honor and serve Him!

2 comments: