Thursday, March 15, 2012

Leftover Oatmeal Cake

When I joined Pinterest a few weeks ago, I found a recipe for leftover oatmeal cake. Since I do not like to waste anything, I quickly pinned it so I could try it. Today was the day.

Of course, I made some changes to it to try to make it a little bit healthier and something that could be eaten for breakfast. I came to the conclusion that I should have decreased the sugar even more than I did. I also used a combination of leftover oatmeal with apple pieces and leftover oat groats. Everyone loved it!

Below is the recipe with even more sugar taken out. If you find it still too sweet, decrease it more!


Leftover Oatmeal Cake

Cream together:
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sucanat (OR half white sugar & half brown sugar OR all white sugar plus 1 TBS molasses)
2 eggs
1 tsp of vanilla
2 cups (more or less) cooked oatmeal

Sift together:
1 1/2 cups whole grain spelt flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. (or more!) cinnamon

Add sifted mixture to creamed mixture and beat well. Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until tests done.

This cake is very rich and moist so serve in small pieces.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm looks yummy! I'm going to have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made this the other day and added walnuts and raisins.....holy yum. It is our new favorite. I am just about to make another with pecans and diced pear.

    ReplyDelete