Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Remembering Grandpa

My husband and I had been discussing about how we don't feel any of us really processed the loss of his father since his passing back in October. We decided to have a time of all of us sharing our favorite memories of Grandpa as well as how it makes us feel that he is no longer with us. It was a good time of sharing happy memories. We laughed. We cried. It was helpful.

Although it has helped, I still don't think we have fully mourned his loss. Our family has a tendency to bottle up emotions so we still have some digging to do.

This time of sharing did remind me, however, of a poem that I had thought about sharing back in October but never got around to sharing. Our third born shared a birthday with Grandpa, therefore, had a special connection with him. She is also our child who likes to express herself through writing. She wrote this beautiful poem and read it at the funeral.


"The Grandpa in My Heart"

On a day lovingly chosen,
A blessing was brought to life,
Who blessed his God given family,
And later his children and wife.
Six decades and nine years later,
I took my very first breath,
My heart was filled with love for him,
To give abundantly, until his death.
And even after he leaves me,
To live with Love, in a place so fair,
For him, there will be a place in my heart,
A place so exquisite and rare.
I will always remember his legacy,
His smile so teasing and sincere,
Toothpicks and cards will forever always,
To my heart, bring him so near.
I pray he knows how much I love him,
How much he means to me,
For him, I will lovingly sing,
On the day, he was brought to be.
In my memories he will stand,
So vivid and so real,
And in my heart,  
Love for him, I'll feel. 

Written from her heart
by Allyn Carmichael

                                                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment