Thursday, August 13, 2020

The Lord is my Shepherd

 Psalms 23:1 KJV
<<A Psalm of David.>> The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.


At first read, one would see this as not wanting a shepherd-a guide, a protector, a provider. This understanding fits  how people usually are. We want to be in control. We want to be independent. We want to say we did something on our own.

Another rendering is that with the Lord as our Shepherd, we shall never be in want of anything because He provides and takes care of all. This understanding also fits as it follows God's character.

No matter which way you choose to understand this scripture, both are true.

For far too long, I have lived believing the first and fighting against God wanting to protect me, provide for me, and take care of me. 

God led me to Psalm 23 at the beginning of this month and although I have read it every day and am working on memorizing it, I have decided to dig in and look closely at each verse. I know there is much here that I miss with just reading it and not studying it.


No comments:

Post a Comment