Friday, May 8, 2020

Walk Humbly

Micah 6:8
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

According to my footnote, "walk humbly" can also be translated "humbly thyself to walk". This puts a little different twist on it for me.

Often, we want to do things our way; we want to be in control. Here we are told that we need to be humble ourselves to walk with God. We are not in contorl, instead, we are in commune with God. It also helpus us to understand that to walk humbly is a verb and not just an adverb. We have to do something-humble ourselves.

Other examples of how humbling ourselves is an action are Luke 18:14 and Philippians 2:6-8.

Luke 18:14
I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
Philippians 2:6-8 KJV
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Since it is an action, how do we go about humbling ourselves? Here are some ideas from Kyle Idleman in his book, the end of me.

  • To humble myself, I voluntarily confess sin.
  • To humble myself, I give sacrificingly and anonymously.
  • To humble myself, I treat others better than myself.
  • To humble myself, I ask for help. 

[H]umbling yourself is not beating yourself up or believing you should be treated poorly.

Would you add anything to the list of ways we can humble ourselves?


No comments:

Post a Comment