Monday, February 28, 2011

Wait Silently and Think on Whatever is good

Psalm 62

To the Chief Musician. To Jeduthun. A Psalm of David.
 1 Truly my soul silently waits for God;
         From Him comes my salvation.
 2 He only is my rock and my salvation;
         He is my defense;
         I shall not be greatly moved.
        
 3 How long will you attack a man?
         You shall be slain, all of you,
         Like a leaning wall and a tottering fence.
 4 They only consult to cast him down from his high position;
         They delight in lies;
         They bless with their mouth,
         But they curse inwardly.  Selah 
        
 5 My soul, wait silently for God alone,
         For my expectation is from Him.
 6 He only is my rock and my salvation;
         He is my defense;
         I shall not be moved.
 7 In God is my salvation and my glory;
         The rock of my strength,
         And my refuge, is in God.
        
 8 Trust in Him at all times, you people;
         Pour out your heart before Him;
         God is a refuge for us.  Selah 
        
 9 Surely men of low degree are a vapor,
         Men of high degree are a lie;
         If they are weighed on the scales,
         They are altogether lighter than vapor.
 10 Do not trust in oppression,
         Nor vainly hope in robbery;
         If riches increase,
         Do not set your heart on them.
        
 11 God has spoken once,
         Twice I have heard this:
         That power belongs to God.
 12 Also to You, O Lord, belongs mercy;
         For You render to each one according to his work.

Recently, I have been hurt multiple times by someone and just yesterday was the straw that broke the camel's back. I was ready to vent to my friends about what happened, then I read Psalm 62 this morning.

I am to wait silently for God and He will defend me. I am to bite my tongue (which I did yesterday) and not keep dragging it up by venting about it. Even though I am attacked by those who "bless with their mouth But they curse inwardly", I am to "wait silently for God". He is my rock, my strength, my salvation, my refuge! I can pour my heart out to Him and trust Him all the time. My power is certainly in God!

This also brought to mind another scripture that I was actually trying to remember yesterday when that final straw fell so I looked it up in my concordance--Philippians 4:8.

8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
So, today I am trying to focus on what is good about the person who hurt me deeply. When I catch myself thinking about how I was treated and what was said, I ask God to forgive me for dwelling on the bad and replace the thought with what is something good about the person. I need to wait on Him to defend me and not try to do it on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment