Friday, February 23, 2018

Sausage and Squash Soup

I have been trying to finish up using things in my freezers and on my canning shelves in creative new ways because the flour we use (garbanzo bean flour) has been difficult to get lately. I found a recipe for Spicy Sausage and Squash Soup on Pinterest, so I thought I would give it a try with a few adaptations to use what I have.

I had some frozen butternut squash, one package of frozen pumpkin and two jars of canned butternut squash that I used (yes, I have to make a lot to feed my family!). I also used frozen turkey stock and frozen diced onions. We used full raw cow's milk cream instead of the coconut milk. We used RealSalt  and cayenne pepper for our seasonings. I left out the bay leaf, apple cider vinegar, and water. We also make our own sausage with either ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground venison, but we had been given some actual pork sausage so we used that.

I have to say, it was a hit! Even my children who are picky eaters when it comes to squash had seconds and some even had thirds! My husband, who doesn't really care for soups, even commented about how good it was.

I am definitely keeping this recipe around to when the garden starts producing squash again.

If you try it (or your own variation of it), please let me know how your family reacted to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment