Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Homemade Yogurt

I had a few people ask about how I make my yogurt, so I thought I would do a post on my method.



Yogurt

1 gallon milk (I use goat milk most of the time)
2 ½ tbsp plain gelatin
½ cup cold water
1 cup plain yogurt (I started with store bought, but now keep some from a previous batch)
1 ½ cup evaporated cane juice crystals (optional)


Heat milk in large double boiler to 180 degrees. Remove from heat, let cool to 110 degrees. I put the pot in a sink full of ice water to speed up the process. Meanwhile, soak gelatin in cold water. When milk reaches 110 degrees, stir in gelatin, yogurt, and sugar. Beat until smooth. Set back into double-boiler and cover with a towel and set aside
for 4-6 hours. When yogurt has set for 4-6 hours, beat again and chill for 4 hours.

Eat plain or add fresh or frozen fruit. Thicken any thawed frozen fruit you add by combining 1 cup cold water and ¼ cup arrowroot powder and whatever fruit and cook until thick. Cool before mixing in with yogurt. Make sure you reserve 1 cup of plain yogurt first for your next batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment