Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Persecution is Alive and Well in This Day and Age

Anyone who thinks that Americans do not suffer from persecution for their beliefs live in a fantasy world. Enduring persecution is alive and well for many Christians in America today.

As anyone who follows this blog knows, I have a large family. We currently have 8 daughters and another blessing on the way. I never thought it would matter to anyone else how many children we have, but we are under attack because of our choice to leave our family size up to God.

We have faith that if God grants us a blessing, He will provide for that blessing. We have never had a need go unanswered. Do we live the "American Dream"? No, but we don't want to either. We don't feel the need to go on fancy vacations, drive fancy vehicles or live in a house that is way too big. We don't see the benefit of not giving children any responsibilities within the family because we can pay someone to do the job instead (in fact, I see it as a major detriment to not teach responsibility). We don't see the need to have more clothes in the closet than they could possibly wear.

We have never gone hungry (Do we always have our favorite foods? No, but food is to provide nutrients and if it delicious, then that is just a benefit.) We have always had a roof over our head. We have always had heat in our home. We have always had clothes on our backs (and weather appropriate clothes at that) and shoes on our feet. Our bills have always been paid. And to top it all off, He even blesses us with extras like camping trips, special toys, and the such.

Why is it then, that people feel they have to right to criticize us and tell us how "unwise" we are living? Doesn't the bible tell us that "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge" (Proverbs 1:7, NKJV)? Doesn't it say that, "'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord" (Isaiah 55:8, NKJV)? We can not always fathom the ways of God. We can not always understand why He allows some things to happen and other things to not happen. We may not "agree" with His will, but in the end, if we truly trust in Him, we know that His ways are best.

His Word says, "I am a laughingstock to my friends, by calling on God, who answers me. The righteous and upright man is a laughingstock" (Job 12:4, NASB). I know we shouldn't be surprised at persecution, but knowing that it will happen and enduring it are two different things. I'm thankful that my faith in the Lord is strong enough to get me through even persecution. I'm joyful in my tribulations because as James wrote, "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing" (1:2-4, NKJV). God is working in my life. He is molding me to what He wants me to be. I am clay in the hands of the Potter.

Another way to look at it is that we must be living how God has called us to live because if we weren't, then the devil wouldn't be using his tricks to try to turn us from God. If we are not living for God, then we aren't a "threat" to Satan and he will leave us alone. He might think he is going to destroy our faith, but he is only working to strengthen it and draw us closer to God!

I guess the point of this post is to encourage anyone who is also enduring persecution to keep the faith! We may not understand exactly what God is doing in our lives, but we can have peace in knowing that it will all work out for the good (Romans 8:28, NKJV--"And we know that all things work together for the good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.").

If you would like prayer for a trying situation in your life, please leave a comment letting me know and I will add you to my daily prayer list.

2 comments:

  1. you are such an inspiration to me Darcy!
    my spiritual path is so lack-luster compared to yours.
    i was saved 10 years ago and should be at a more significant level of spiritual growth than what i am at today.
    i need to take a step backwards and start from the beginning.
    your post, and many posts on CPF & fb (good and not so good), have led me to the place where i suppose i need to be...seeking Him.
    i am also not shocked that persecution of Christians is alive in this country.
    i love your faith and i love you!
    i will pray for a healthy pregnancy and a joyful birthing experience! and you may pray for my spiritual growth while i take this sabbatical from CPF & fb.
    hugs to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for you Mare! I hope you know that you have always been a friend to me on CPF and FB and I always appreciate your biblical advice and prayers as well. I know God will bless you in this time of spiritual reflection and study.

    ReplyDelete