Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Self-Taught Education

About five years ago, I was introduced to the Robinson Curriculum. While I don't follow the curriculum exactly as it is intended, I love using it as my base.

The Robinson Curriculum was born out of a need because the wife of a college professor died while they still had young children in the home. The books provided in the curriculum were because they were quality books already in their personal library. For that reason, I "replaced" some of the books with books that we already owned on the same topics. Also, having an English major and being a former public school English teacher, there were some books that I desired my children to read that weren't on the list and of course, I needed to add books for our state history and constitution.

Also, because our children are not desiring to go to college (at least at this point), I have altered the math curriculum a little bit by not going as high in the Saxon math and incorporating some personal finance and business math (because they do plan on having home-based businesses).

Another difference, is that with the younger children, I tend to lean toward a Charlotte Mason/Notebooking approach with them.

With the curriculum, they are to write every day. I then check them for grammar, dictation, etc. They can choose to write on anything they desire (except I require them to write on whatever they are reading for school on Fridays). Sometimes they choose to write stories, sometimes they ask if they can copywork out of the Bible, sometimes they will do extra research and write on a topic of their choice.

I have loved how they choose what they "study" and will go much further than I expect them to go. I am also surprised at what interests them. They may be introduced to something in their reading and then choose to study more (like Cora studied spiders!).

Another surprising side-effect is that they will continue to explore topics outside of school as well. Sabra has been reading about David Farrogut in Fifty Famous Stories (which is included in the Robinson Curriculum) and she is enjoying learning about him. Every day she was coming to me telling me something that she found fascinating. Yesterday, she took it upon herself to start writing her thoughts about him. She wrote 5 pages and this is in addition to her normal, daily writing!

David Farrogut is someone who I don't think she would have encountered in other curriculums, but I'm glad that she is reading about him because it is sparking a love of learning.

Do you homeschool? What do you like about homeschooling? What do you love about the curriculum you use?


No comments:

Post a Comment