Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Why Have Babies


Why Have Babies-- A Look at Chapters 17 & 18 of Be Fruitful & Multiply: Why Parents in the Twenty-First Century Love Having Children & What Do Children Say?
                                                         
Both of these chapters give exact quotations from real people as to why having more children is a blessing. While there are 101 reasons from parents, here are just some of them that I can definitely say I agree with!

“We love receiving gifts and blessings from God.”

“I’d love another baby because to choose not to is like saying “no” to God. I want to say “yes” to God and His will for my life.”

“I love to see the faces of my children as they see a new brother or sister for the first time.”

“Children brighten up the home. They make life interesting.”

“More children give us the opportunity to have our faith increased as we see God meet our daily needs.”

“Having children helps to develop in us the godly character of servanthood.”

“My children help me surrender the selfish desires of my flesh.”

“Parenthood allows us to experience the kind of love our Heavenly Father has for us.”

“Babies remind us of how wonderful and how creative our God is.”

“Babies are a lot more entertaining than television.”

“We’re helping to build the kingdom of God.”

“Children teach me to become a servant, and that’s what Jesus wants us to be. Jesus Himself said He came to serve rather than be served.”

“The more children we have, the more we will be blessed when we are older. Instead of being lonely, we will have many children and grandchildren around to entertain us, to bless us, and to care for us.”

“Raising up a godly seed is laying up treasure in heaven.”

“Having children causes us to depend on God moment by moment!”

Some six year olds said:

“Because I love babies.”

“Because I want to hug another one. And I could babysit at home.”

“I could make him laugh and teach him how to do tricks and how to play games.”

When I asked my own girls why they wanted me to have another, I got the following responses:

“I just love babies.”

“Because they always grow up and I like having a baby around.”

“I want a brother so I can play tricks on him.”

Children are truly a blessing and reading and studying this book and the scriptures it brought to light have only made that more evident for me. I pray this series of posts has been a blessing to at least one other person.

If you have been encouraged to read this book on your own, reconsider more children, study the scriptures more yourself, or something else because of this series, please leave a comment below!

1 comment:

  1. I've just been encouraged generally and boosted in my faith- as I always am when reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete