Friday, January 15, 2010

Housecleaning

HOUSECLEANING
by Dorothy Elizabeth Walker

There's one room upstairs that no one sees
Where during the year things have collected;
Good things, others too, that just take up room,
To be shared or thrown away, but I neglected.

So I cleaned out the clutter and cobwebs,
Swept and scrubbed everything in sight;
Covered up the ugly marks with fresh paint,
Washed windows -- in came sun and light.

Order out of chaos; oh what a change!
Now that it's done, it's a real joy to me;
All the time as I worked, I thought again
Of the cleansing I, myself, need daily.

There's a room in my heart no one sees;
During the day some things collect there -
The dust of gloom, envy, thoughtless words,
Even wondering, "Does Jesus care?"

So I cleaned out a secret grudge, cobwebs
Of jealousy, washed walls of prejudice too;
Then covered up a lot of things with love -
Yet the Lord had some cleaning to do.

My hurting heart He calmed and healed,
Washed my eyes with tears, many bitter too.
That I might see the brightness of His love.
Yet it's not because of what I could do

That makes me joyously happy and clean -
'Tis the cleansing blood of God's Son -
For when looking into the mirror of His Word
I was only willing to let it be done.

1 comment: