Friday, June 24, 2016

Blessed are the Persecuted

Matthew 5:10-11 KJV
 10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Most of us do not feel blessed when we are being attacked. In fact, we usually get angry and upset and may even retaliate. However, this scripture says we are "blessed".

The footnote for this passage in my Bible caught my attention, "Persecution was synonymous with discipleship in the first three centuries of the Christian faith." (From the The KJV Study Bible, published by Barbour Publishing, Inc. Used by permission)

Do we really understand the true cost of discipleship today? Would we still be willing to call ourselves followers if this was still true?

I think we are seeing a glimpse of it as this nation has been attacking Christianity for a while and continue to attack more often and more harshly. While for most in the US, our lives aren't in danger, we are being attacked in our pocket books and freedoms. What I have seen in this is strengthening those who are true followers of Christ. True disciples are standing firm. I often hear, "I must be doing something right if I'm being attacked." Satan isn't  going to waste his time attacking a false follower of Christ. He is going to go after the testimony of Christ's disciples.

When you are attacked for your faith in Christ, remember, you are blessed. Rejoice! You are among good company.


No comments:

Post a Comment