Friday, April 22, 2016

First Year

Deuteronomy 24:5
When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.

When I was a child, I remember hearing stories of my great uncle having taken a full year off work for a honeymoon. I remember thinking that was crazy. I also remember someone saying it was biblical.

As I read Deuteronomy 24:5, the stories came back to me. Here it was--the biblical statute for a newly married couple to spend the first year together.

I wish I remember how he accomplished such a feat. Did he have a year's income saved up? Did he go back to his previous job after that year? Did they live like paupers and only on love? I honestly can't remember. When I talk to people now days, they don't see how it is possible and while it seems impossible, I think it is something worth striving towards. If God wrote it, it must be important!

Maybe we should encourage our sons and daughters to have enough money saved up. Maybe we should encourage a home business where they can work together (not a full understanding of the scripture, but closer than the normal).

So much growth can happen in the first year that this would help.

What are your thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment