Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Learning Contentment

Philippians 4:11
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

I have to be honest.

I am struggling.

I am struggling with contentment

I have always thought that God puts dreams in our hearts. He speaks to us through dreams we have for our future. However, that, in some ways, contradicts with being content.

If we have dreams, we have plans to achieve those dreams. Yes, I understand that God's plans may be different from ours, but does that mean we sit and do nothing? NO. We must be working towards fulfilling our dreams as much as we are capable. For example, if my dream is to be debt free, then I need to work at paying off debt. I can't just sit and wait for God to fix the situation with a quick fix. Or, if I desire to be a teacher, I need to study and earn my degree.

I think my lack of contentment is coming from things now following the time table I desire for my dreams. I know that if it works out in God's timing, the fulfillment of my dream will be even better, but that still isn't easing my disappointment in the waiting. The slower time table is also causing me to doubt whether or not it truly is a God-given dream. Is it REALLY what He desires for me? Am I still falling prey to the world's desires? Am I just being selfish?

I don't have the answers. I will be studying on contentment and I hope God opens my eyes to this truth. I would appreciate your prayers on the topic. I pray He shows me His true desires for my dreams and shows me how to be content in my current circumstances while not giving up on dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment