Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Fear of the Lord

Proverbs 8:13 

The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
Proverbs tells us how we should act if we truly fear God. We should hate evil. What does that look like? It continues to tell us pride, arrogancy, evil ways and a froward mouth are what God hates.

I looked up 'forward' to make sure I was remembering the definition correctly--perverse.I also looked up the original Hebrew word for mouth and saw that another meaning for it was 'mind' (although it isn't translated that way very often). I pondered this and remembered Matthew 12:34:

O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Our mouths speak what is truly in our hearts/mind.

God hates perverse minds. If we fear Him, we should hate perverse minds. Why then, do so many Christians support perverseness? This is a question I have been struggling to answer for my children (because with the world today, they often ask). The only thing I can say is I wonder if people truly fear the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment