Thursday, July 9, 2015

Studying Scripture


Philippians 4:6 
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.


Just yesterday I mentioned about seeking God's wisdom in scripture instead of trying to make it fit a preconceived notion you (or someone else) may have. I also mentioned that sometimes you need (or should) go back to the original Hebrew/Greek to fully understand scripture because translations sometimes aren't right or can be confusing.

Philippians 4:6 is an example of this.

It is a well-known verse, but when I read it this time, I pondered what "careful" meant. I went back to the original  with the use of a concordance and saw that the Greek word used was merimnao which means "to be anxious". To me, it would have made more sens to use the word "anxious" instead of "careful" as it brings more meaning to the scripture for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment