Monday, June 15, 2015

Gluten Free Scottish Pancakes

I never remember to take photos until after we've eaten some!
Here is seconds for someone.
A few weeks ago I was searching for something on Pinterest and saw a pin for Scottish pancakes. Since my husband is Scottish, I thought I would pin it to try at some point. Well, that point was Saturday!

I had to change the recipe some to make it gluten free, but everyone liked these Scottish pancakes better than my "regular" pancakes. One girls said they tasted like french toast. Another said like waffles. In any case, they won the Carmichael family approval!

You can see the original pin here. Here are my adaptations.

I quadrupled the original recipe for my family of 12. Since one daughter is missing, we fed 11, but had just the perfect amount left over to feed 12 for when we have everyone home.

6 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend
1 tablespoon xanthan gum (I'm sure you could omit this if your blend already has it)
4 tablespoons baking powder
a few pinches of salt
4 tablespoons evaporated cane juice crystals
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 large eggs
5 cups milk

Combine flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, evaporated cane juice crystals, and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk eggs until foamy. Add milk and whisk again. Add to dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Let sit for 15 minutes. Add butter to a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Drop approximately 1/4 cup batter and cook until bubbles start to form. Flip over and cook until golden brown.

I hope you try these out and enjoy them as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment