Friday, April 10, 2015

Spaghetti Squash Fritters

Sorry for the "dirty" plate. I tried one before deciding to take
a picture and post about the recipe.
I have a freezer full of spaghetti squash and was looking for new ways to use it up. I came across this recipe for Bacon, Spaghetti Squash, and Parmesan Fritters. Since I rarely follow a recipe as written because I need to adapt it to our dietary needs and what we have in the house, I made some adaptations.

I loved our new spaghetti squash option! Most of the girls were okay with it, a few liked it as much as I did, and a few didn't like them at all (but that is because they don't like spaghetti squash to begin with).

Here is what I used. As usual, I didn't measure but I tried to eyeball the amounts of the recipe linked above.

eggs
gluten free flour (I want to try this with coconut flour to make it THM approved)
spaghetti squash
freshly grated Romano cheese (we use authentic Romano because it is made from sheep milk which is good for those of us with dairy allergies)
Real Salt
chopped onion
turkey bacon, chopped and fried
coconut oil

for garnish: 0% Greek yogurt

I fried the chopped up pieces of turkey bacon and when they were almost crispy, I threw in the chopped onion and finished cooking. I then added that to the bowl that already had the strained, cooked spaghetti squash, grated Romano, eggs, salt and flour. I mixed it all together and then fried in the coconut oil in patty shape. I cooked them for a few minutes on each side.

For me, the Greek yogurt on top greatly increased the flavor of the fritter. I would have loved to put some sliced green onion on top as well or maybe even some chives, but I didn't have any.

No comments:

Post a Comment