Friday, November 16, 2012

Called to Adopt--A Guest Post




Adoption. One of the biggest decisions one could ever make. A decision that will impact many precious lives for eternity. A decision to follow a God-given calling that is exciting, terrifying and amazing all at the same time. A call to give, to serve, to love… Adoption.

My husband and I are currently planning for our future adoption of our first child. To be quite frank, the thought of the adoption process can be quite daunting. Five years ago, adoption was merely a passing thought…
“Honey, I think we should adopt a child. Regardless of whether we are able to have biological children or not… I just feel like that is something we should do, like we were called adopt.” 


Little did we know that we would be down this road so soon.  After four years of infertility struggles, we resolved to give our desires to grow our family to the Lord.  And in that he has given birth to a new desire to not just become parents, but to glorify him is his command in James 1:27. To have our hearts and home open to a precious life, one we will teach about the goodness of the Lord.


With these new desires comes a slew of new concerns… Like how will we pay for this and what if no one chooses us and other thoughts that come with this uncharted territory for us. In Isaiah 55:8-9, the Lord says “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Sometimes it is hard to know what the Lord’s plans are, but I know one thing for sure… we are so excited to be in his perfect will!


So far our adoption journey have been one of a LOT of prayer, learning, researching and saving. Oh, did I mention prayer? :)


God is so good! See… we are a one income household. My husband works very hard to make sure our needs are met and that I can stay home to be a wife and soon a mother. If you are already aware… adoption consists of a lot of money. A lot. And we have chosen to go about this journey is a debt-free way that honors the Lord. So, that is where creative juices have to flow!


During the summer, I couldn't sell my herbal products (which was a way I was going to try to save up money) so I had to come up with a few ideas that would allow me to stay at home but still sock money away for our adoption savings. First, we had an extremely successful yard sale which really jump started our savings fund. But once that was done, it was done. And then I did a few face painting jobs that brought in some money, but there wasn't consistency.


While looking for other means of earning money, I came across a lovely business opportunity with Lilla Rose! I was blessed to be fully sponsored, so I started at almost no cost. What a blessing Lilla Rose has turned out to be! I can do all my work from home and each month I have been able to put a nice check right into our savings fund. (If you are interested in learning more about Lilla Rose, you can click here)


We have also been tremendously blessed by so many people’s generosity. Fundraisers, gifts, time, blog posts, and many, many prayers. I am truly, truly blown away by the giving hearts that have touched us more than they could ever imagine. If is SO amazing to see the father’s work at hand, especially with complete strangers. I just don’t think we could ever thank each of them enough.





So far this journey has been full of adventure, prayer, community and love. As we keep plugging along, we grow more and more excited to see what God will do. To follow our adoption journey, visit our blog www.meetthebasses.blogspot.com. Prayerfully consider getting involved with adoption... there are so many ways to help whether you decide to adopt yourself, or help support an adopting family (prayer, fundraising, your time or even just talking and being interested in their journey). 

Blessings, Jasmine Bass

Jasmine is a God-fearing, always-learning, stay-at-home-wife to the best husband in the world! In the past couple of years, her new found loves have become herbal fix ‘ems and things “all natural”! She is continually learning to slow down, enjoying the important, simple things in life…like naturally taking care of her home, husband and health. She really enjoys creating things “home-made” and showing others how to do the same! You can find her at Like A Mustard Seed blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment