Sunday, September 2, 2012

Large Families on Purpose: Organized Sports and Individual Hobbies - Appetite...

Organized sports is a topic that I have thought a lot about. Some of the points she mentions I agree with. Some of the points I haven't thought about before and am still "chewing" on. Some of the points brought up in the comments section are things that I struggle with.

What are your thoughts? I would love to hear more opinions on the topic. Please only comment after reading the link.

Large Families on Purpose: Organized Sports and Individual Hobbies - Appetite...: We are heading in to the fall season.  School will begin soon, and many parents are trying to determine which and/or how many activities th...

2 comments:

  1. Darcy,

    Thank you for the link. It was a very interesting blog. We have read the Maxwell books. We have "chewed on" some of these same issues. In the end we have tried to be very careful about how we chose these things. In scouts as you know Mike and I are leaders so we can be sure of positive influence on our young men and with Archery we have found a sport that is not all time consuming and they can practice easily at home. In the end praying out what is best for each family and then following that guidance from God is what is best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a good post and I too agree with most of it.

    I have noticed that, in moving toward homeschooling, people think of organised sport as a crutch, ie 'Oh, homeschooling? But as long as they are in outside school sports.' As in 'They'll still have a shot at being normal.' Even I thought that way to begin with.

    Because raising your kids to live for God is such a total paradigm shift from the dominant culture (teaching them to live for themselves), it requires reforming our thoughts in so many areas.

    For us, money will be a huge factor of course. And, although I share similar convictions to those stated in the article, I and my husband both really enjoyed sport as children, so it's a hard thing to let go of.
    But God changed our hearts about homeschooling, so I imagine He will lead us into His will here too if we seek to be led.

    ReplyDelete