Thursday, May 17, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins

I've never cooked or baked with rhubarb before. In fact, for many years I thought I didn't like rhubarb because I had tried it once and didn't like it. Then, a couple of years ago I ate a dessert at a church potluck and was surprised that it was rhubarb. Since then, I've had more and more rhubarb and enjoyed it. While at my in-laws house for Mother's day, I mentioned that I would like a little rhubarb to try cooking/baking with it. My father-in-law ended up giving us a large box of it so I have lots of rhubarb cooking/baking in my future!

I figure rhubarb is a frugal food to use because it grows about anywhere and it grows in abundance. I am looking forward to finding new recipes for my family.

The first thing I made with it was a rhubarb pie which I thought was pretty good. Yesterday I tried strawberry-rhubarb muffins. I took a recipe I found on Pinterest and of course changed it to make it a bit healthier and to use ingredients I had in the house. Everyone liked it so I will probably just stay with my version instead of some day trying the other.

Here is my version of Strawberry-Rhubarb Muffins.
  • ¼ cups Coconut Oil
  • ¾ cups Sugar
  • ¼ cups Safflower Oil
  • 2 1/4 cups whole grain Spelt Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • ½ teaspoons Salt
  • 1 whole Egg
  • 1 cup soured milk
  • ½ teaspoons Almond Extract
  • ¾ cups Chopped Rhubarb
  • 1 cup Chopped Strawberries
  • ¼ cups Brown Sugar For Tops
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Grease your muffin tins (approx. 18 muffins).

With an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and oil until smooth. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the egg, soured milk and almond extract to the creamed sugar mixture and mix well. Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet mixture. Add the chopped rhubarb and strawberries and lightly mix in.

Scoop the batter into tins. Sprinkle a little brown sugar on the top of each muffin.

Bake for approx. 15 minutes until golden on top.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I just got tons of rhubarb from my next door neighbor yesterday. I, too, never liked rhubarb (at least I didn't think I did), but now that I am older and have tried it, it's not that bad. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with 2 gallon bags full of rhubarb...but now I do. Perfect timing dear! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete