Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Blessed Seed—A Look at Chapter 10 of Be Fruitful & Multiply

I thought I would already know everything Campbell would discuss in this book because of agreeing with her on the big picture, but this chapter opened my eyes to something I never realized before. Either I chose not to see it, my eyes were spiritually shielded until now, or the use of scripture other than the King James Version kept it from me (Bible versions is another issue I’m currently struggling with, but that is for another post.), but I am thankful that after my own study, I now understand.

I was fascinated to learn that the same Hebrew and Greek word are used when talking about a child in the womb and an infant. This is just further evidence that life begins at conception.

Many people use the story of Onan (Genesis 38) to argue that he was killed because he wouldn’t impregnate his dead brother’s wife. I agreed with that, but I thought it was because of where his heart was, not that life was in the seed as Campbell argues. I discovered that the same Hebrew word is used for sperm (Genesis 38:9 and Leviticus 15:16) as for offspring (Genesis 46:6, Psalm 37:5, Psalm 112:1-2). This becomes clear if you read the King James Version.

With this new understanding, I am even more convinced that birth control should not be used. I was against hormonal birth control for years before we turned our childbearing over to the Lord because it creates a hostile environment if the egg is allowed to implant which could lead to the death of the life created, but spermicide is also the taking of a life in the context of this new understanding.

It is my opinion that put in the perspective of Onan’s death, all methods of stopping conception (including tubes tied and vasectomies) are wrong. I know there are many people who disagree with me and that is okay because they have to do what they feel God is calling them to do. I do not condemn others for their point of view, but it does not stop me from sharing my own either.

I would love to hear your comments on this issue. Please know that I will not allow comments that are crude or disrespectful to be posted. I will post comments that disagree with me as long as they are respectful.

Sign up to follow Gracious Daughter of the King on the right side of the blog to receive updates what topics are coming up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment