Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I have been asked about the laundry detergent I make. I used the recipe from the Duggar's website and adapted it for our use. Because we don't have any convenient place to store a 5 gallon bucket of laundry detergent, I use make 2 1/2 gallons of the concentrate. I don't like the smell of Fals Neptha and I wanted something more natural, so I use a bar of Dr. Bronner's soaps. When I make this recipe, it lasts us about 2 months and we average 15 loads a week. I can buy the washing soda, borax and 1 bar of soap for the same price as one jug of natural laundry detergent. I've used the washing soda three times to make this batch and have enough for a fourth if I don't use it at other times as I have already done for a homemade oxy clean I've been trying. If I didn't use it for that, I would get at least 5 batches out of one box of washing soda. My borax box is still 3/4 full after using it for three batches. Combine that with the fact that 1 jug of store bought only lasted me 2-3 weeks, it is a HUGE savings to make my own detergent.

2  Cups - hot tap water
1  Dr. Bronner's bar soap (any scent)
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
½ Cup Borax

Grate bar of soap (I use my food processor) and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted. 
After melting the soap into the water.

Fill two 1 gallon buckets and an empty laundry jug half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken. Shake laundry soap jug and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
I filled two 1 gallon pails and 1/2 a 1 gallon pail because the jug I had been using broke yesterday and I haven't gotten a replacement yet.

Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 5 gallons.

I use 2-3 tablespoons of detergent in my front loader depending on how dirty the load. I use 1 tablespoon for my cloth diapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment