Monday, January 3, 2011

Not Following the Crowd

I have been struck lately with how differently I look at life from those around me. Some people say it is because I am saved and others are not. Others say it is because I'm at a different part of my journey with Christ than others. I don't find either of these as good explanations for what I feel.

I find that there are some people that I have some things in common with and other people that I have other things in common with, but I have yet to find another person (besides my husband) that looks at life the same as I do in all areas. At times it makes me feel alone. Sometimes it makes me feel odd. Sometimes it makes me wonder if it is worth the struggle to stand my ground. Whenever I begin feeling that way, I open my Bible to wherever I happen to open it and always am led to a verse that encourages me to stand for my faith.

I was talking to my husband the other day about being somewhere where I didn't feel I fit in (some place I used to feel very comfortable). I mentioned how maybe it wasn't the place for me anymore because I surround by people with different life views. He told me that maybe that is exactly where I should be and should stand up for my views and at least get them thinking about their own. I was truly convicted by this. How often do I keep my mouth shut to "keep the peace" instead of sharing my opinions with others? How often have I missed an opportunity to witness to someone because I was afraid of standing out?

We are called to lead a life that is holy and pleasing to God. It isn't for us to live a life pleasing to anyone else. We are called to be in the world, but not of the world. We are called to be transformed, not be conformed.

It seems like this is on the mind of many people lately as I have read a number of blog posts about this very topic. I wanted to share one of them with you as I thought it was very well written and honest. If you feel inclined, please read Be Who You Are.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Darcy! I often feel 'alone in my different-ness' and am afraid of standing out. I love the post you linked to as well. Very encouraging stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's not a coincidence that i heard this very thing at church on sunday. our pastor was saying how many people come to the elders of the church to mediate when the person hasn't even confronted the other person. they say things like "i'm too close to the situation." my pastor said "that's WHY you should say something!" God put you "close to the situation" so you could say something.
    i'm sorry you feel alone. i think we all do at times. but we're not! we have one person with us ALWAYS and can count on Him to stand with us in our faith! God has blessed you abundantly my friend! keep shining His light!

    ReplyDelete