Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Prudent Wife

"Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers,
But a prudent wife is from the LORD."
--Proverbs 19:14

While reading Proverbs today, this verse stuck out to me. It made me wonder the biblical meaning of "prudent", so I got out my Strong's concordance and looked it up. It means: intelligent, skillful, wise, a teacher and guide.

Am I those things? Am I a prudent wife? There are days when I might say that I am, but there are definitely days when I am not. I do not always make wise decisions. I am not always the best teacher for my girls (when I am teaching by example and I am being a bad example). I am not the most skillful woman out there (but I'm getting better).

How am I to become a prudent wife? By turning to the LORD. He is the One who gives a prudent wife, so He is the One who can make me a prudent wife. I need to make sure I am turning to Him for all things. I am to turn to Him for wisdom and intelligence. I am to turn to Him for guidance in all things. I am to ask (plead) Him for skills. I am to repent when I teach by bad example. He is the only One who can change me. He is the only One who can help me be a prudent wife who is a blessing to my husband.

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for revealing Your Word to me today. Thank You that Your Word is living and will speak to me exactly what I need to hear no matter how many times I have read it. Thank You for loving me enough to reproof and chastise me. Thank You for drawing me closer to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment